ERAP: Frequently Asked Questions


Q: What is the Emergency Rental Assistance Program?

A: The Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERAP) helps District residents earning less than 40% of the Area Median Income (AMI) who are facing housing emergencies, by providing funding for overdue rent including late fees and court costs if qualified household is facing eviction. The program also supports security deposits and the first month's rent for residents moving into new apartments. The amount paid on behalf of eligible households depends on a household's income and available resources and is subject to certain limitations. 


Q: How much does ERAP provide for back rent arrears?

A: Per the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development's (HUD) Rent Reasonableness Guidelines, ERAP may provide up to five times the rental amount based on the area zip code and bedroom size of the apartment/house.


Q: How much does ERAP provide for security deposit and first month rent?


A: ERAP payment for the first month’s rent shall not exceed the actual amount of one month’s unsubsidized rent. The security deposit shall be the actual amount of the deposit which may not exceed one month’s unsubsidized rent. 


Q: Can I apply for security deposit and first month rent for a unit outside of DC?

A: When you apply for ERAP, you need to be a current DC resident. However, you are able to apply for security deposit and first month rent for a unit in a neighboring county (for example: Prince Georges County, Montgomery County, Arlington County, etc.).


Q: How many times a year can I apply for and receive ERAP?

A: You may apply for and receive ERAP once within a 12-month period.


Q: Do I have to be a DC resident to apply for DC ERAP?

A: Yes, DC ERAP is limited to current DC residents. To apply for the past due rent assistance program, you would need to be the leaseholder for a DC unit. In addition, you must be currently leasing a DC unit for which you are applying for assistance.  If you are currently a resident of Maryland or Virginia, please contact their local social services department.


Q: What is the general timeframe for my application to be processed?

A: Applications are processed in the order that they are received. Once you submit your application, it will be reviewed by one of six community based organizations that administer the ERAP program. When an organization has started reviewing your application, you will receive an email notification. Once all documents are submitted from both you and your landlord, your eligibility will be determined within ten days. 

Note: Payments are always made directly to your landlord/property management company.


Q: What are the eligibility requirements?

A: To meet the basic eligibility requirements for ERAP, you need to be a DC resident, you need to be at least 30 days behind in rent for back rental assistance applicants or have a threat of homelessness for security deposit and first month’s rent assistance applicants and your household needs to be under the income limits.


Q: What are the monthly income limits?

A: The monthly income limit depends on your household size. Here is a chart below that details the income limits per household size.



40% AMI
             Annual Net Income              

40% AMI
          Monthly Net Income   























Q: How can I apply for ERAP?

A: There are 2 ways you can apply for ERAP. You can go to and submit an application and upload the required documents* online. This can be done on a computer or on a smart phone/tablet. You may also submit a completed paper application with supporting documents at any of the 6 Community Based Organizations* that provide ERAP.

*You can find the list of the required documents below and also the list of the 6 Community Based Organizations at the end of this document.


Q: What documents do I need to submit with my application?

A: The following two documents are mandatory for all applicatons:

  • Proof of residency (lease, letter from landlord)
  • Photo ID for all adults in household (current government issued ID such driver’s license, passport).

The following documents are desired but not mandatory if you complete the self certification.  Providing these documents will make completing your application easier:

  • Proof of Income for last 30 days (paystubs, SSI, SSDI, unemployment benefits, retirement, child support, TANF). If you don’t have income, you would need to sign a 0 Income Statement.
  • Proof of resources or benefits (bank statement from the last 30 days for all accounts, SNAP).

If applying for First Month/Security Deposit: Proof of Rental Agreement such as an approval notice for the new unit you applied for and Documentation of Need for Assistance such as homelessness verification, notice of eviction or voucher for new unit.


Additional documents may be requested throughout the application process.


Q: What documentation is needed from my landlord?

A: To complete your application, once you have submitted all the required Tenant documents, your Landlord is required to submit the following documents.  Note: You, as the Tenant, may submit this information as well. 

  • For all Landlords:
  • Additionally, for private landlords:
    • Copy of ID and proof of Social Security Number.


Q: Should I submit multiple applications if I don’t receive any written or verbal communication from the program?

A: No, please only submit “one” application. Submitting multiple applications will not result in the application being processed faster.


Q: How do I check the status of my application?

A: You may go to and log in with your email and password to check the status of your application. You should also watch for emails regarding the status of your application. Please also check your spam folder for emails from the ERAP team.


Q: Which organizations provide ERAP?

A: The following agencies provide ERAP:


Catholic Charities

The Southeast Family Center

2812 Pennsylvania Ave SE Washington, DC 20020

Office: 202-338-3100 Fax: 202-338-3188


Housing Counseling Services

2410 17th St NW Suite 100 Washington, DC 20009

Adams Alley (between Euclid and Kalorama Streets)

Office: 202-667-7006 Fax: 202-667-1267


Salvation Army

National Capital Area Command

1434 Harvard St NW Suite B Washington, DC 20009

Office: 202-332-5000 Fax: 202-332-5156


Additional Salvation Army Location

The Solomon G. Brown Social Services Center

2300 Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue SE Washington, DC 20020

Office: 202-678-9771 Fax: 202-889-8492


The Community Partnership for The Prevention of Homelessness (TCP) at Virginia Williams Family Resource Center

920 Rhode Island Ave NE Washington, DC 20018
Office: 202-312-5510 Fax: 202-312-5598


The United Planning Organization

2907 Martin Luther King Jr. Ave SE Washington DC 20032

Office: 202-562-3800 Fax: 202-562-3802


The Greater Washington Urban League

2901 14th St NW Washington, DC 20009

Office: 202-265-8200 Fax: 202-387-6515


Any website issues? Contact us here